The increasing service intensity of European manufacturing
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of the increase in service output on the demand for different categories of service occupations in the EU manufacturing sector. Furthermore, we investigate the impact of the global sourcing of producer services on the demand for different service occupations. Using fixed-effects models based on the manufacturing sector for 18 EU countries for the period 1995-2008, we find that the employment share of service occupations is significantly and positively related to the output share of producer services in manufacturing. In particular, the increase in the output share of services accounts for an average of 13 percent of the increase in the share of service occupations. When service occupations are disaggregated by different categories, we find that the output share of services is significantly and positively related to the share of managers, professionals, and technicians. In contrast, service occupations involving clerks, administrative support, and other office-related personnel do not benefit from increasing service revenues. Finally, professionals and technicians are complementary to intermediate producer services (either from domestic or foreign suppliers), while clerks do not benefit from the rise in intermediate service inputs in manufacturing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38600.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
service occupations; servitization; intermediate service inputs; global sourcing; manufacturing sector;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dirk Pilat & Anita Wölfl, 2005. "Measuring the Interaction Between Manufacturing and Services," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2005/5, OECD Publishing.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F374-F403, 06.
- Vandermerwe, Sandra & Rada, Juan, 1988. "Servitization of business: Adding value by adding services," European Management Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 314-324, December.
- J. Jensen, 2008. "Trade in High-Tech Services," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 181-197, December.
- Eva Pardos & Ana G�mez-Loscos & Fernando Rubiera-Moroll�n, 2007. "‘Do versus Buy’ Decisions in the Demand for Knowledge Intensive Business Services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(3), pages 233-249, April.
- Ina Drejer, 2002. "Business Services as a Production Factor," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 389-405.
- Arjan Lejour & Peter Smith, 2008. "International Trade in Services—Editorial Introduction," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 169-180, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007.
"Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade,"
FIW Working Paper series, FIW
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2008. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 199-229, December.
- Joseph Francois & Julia Woerz, 2007. "Producer Services, Manufacturing Linkages, and Trade," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-045/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Laura Abramovsky & Rachel Griffith, 2006.
"Outsourcing and Offshoring of Business Services: How Important is ICT?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 594-601, 04-05.
- Laura Abramovsky & Rachel Griffith, 2005. "Outsourcing and offshoring of business services: how important is ICT?," IFS Working Papers, Institute for Fiscal Studies W05/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Raa, T. ten & Wolff, E.N., 2000.
"Outsourcing of Services and the Productivity Recovery in U.S. Manufacturing in the 1980s and 1990s,"
Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research
2000-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Raa, T. ten & Wolff, E.N., 2001. "Outsourcing of services and the productivity recovery in U.S. manufacturing in the 1980s and 1990s," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86783, Tilburg University.
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, .
"What Follows Tertiarisation? Structural Change and the Role of Knowledge-based Services,"
WIFO Working Papers, WIFO
- Michael Peneder & Serguei Kaniovski & Bernhard Dachs, 2003. "What follows tertiarisation? structural change and the role of knowledge-based services," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 47-66, March.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- P-Y. Léo & J. Philippe, 2001. "Offer of Services by Goods Exporters: Strategic and Marketing Dimensions," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 91-116, April.
- Fixler, Dennis J. & Siegel, Donald, 1999. "Outsourcing and productivity growth in services," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 177-194, June.
- Lodefalk, Magnus, 2010. "Servicification of Manufacturing - Evidence from Swedish Firm and Enterprise Group Level Data," Working Papers, Ãrebro University, School of Business 2010:3, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Alan MacPherson & Vida Vanchan, 2010. "The Outsourcing of Industrial Design Services by Large US Manufacturing Companies," International Regional Science Review, , , vol. 33(1), pages 3-30, January.
- Sébastien Miroudot & Rainer Lanz & Alexandros Ragoussis, 2009. "Trade in Intermediate Goods and Services," OECD Trade Policy Papers 93, OECD Publishing.
- Francois, Joseph F, 1990. "Producer Services, Scale, and the Division of Labor," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 715-29, October.
- Alan Macpherson, 2008. "Producer Service Linkages and Industrial Innovation: Results of a Twelve-Year Tracking Study of New York State Manufacturers," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 39(1), pages 1-23.
- Lourens Broersma & Bart Van Ark, 2007. "Ict, Business Services And Labour Productivity Growth," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(6), pages 433-449.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.