Determinants of household access to formal credit in the rural areas of the Mekong Delta, Vietnam
AbstractThis paper investigates the factors affecting the access of rural individual and group-based households to formal credit in the Mekong Delta (MD), Vietnam. Poverty levels in the Mekong Delta have declined significantly over the last decades, but in the rural areas they remain significant. If it is assumed that access to credit is a suitable vehicle for poverty alleviation, it is necessary to assess the way households decide on borrowing. This paper identifies the determinants of the decision to borrow and of the amount that is borrowed by using the double hurdle model and the Heckman selection model. Data used in this paper were obtained from a survey of 325 rural households, conducted between May and October 2009. The results indicate that household capital endowments, marital status, family size, distance to the market centre, and location affect both the probability and the amount of asking for credit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38202.
Date of creation: 25 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Formal credit; Double hurdle model; individual and group-based lending; rural households;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-05-02 (Banking)
- NEP-DEV-2012-05-02 (Development)
- NEP-MFD-2012-05-02 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2012-05-02 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bao Duong, Pham & Izumida, Yoichi, 2002. "Rural Development Finance in Vietnam: A Microeconometric Analysis of Household Surveys," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 319-335, February.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2008.
"Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 485-503.
- Mikkel Barslund & Finn Tarp, 2007. "Formal and Informal Rural Credit in Four Provinces of Vietnam," Discussion Papers 07-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bell, Clive & Srinivasan, T N & Udry, Christopher, 1997. "Rationing, Spillover, and Interlinking in Credit Markets: The Case of Rural Punjab," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(4), pages 557-85, October.
- Jonathan Conning & Christopher Udry, 2005.
"Rural Financial Markets in Developing Countries,"
914, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Kazushi TAKAHASHI & Takayuki HIGASHIKATA & Kazunari TSUKADA, 2010. "The Short-Term Poverty Impact Of Small-Scale, Collateral-Free Microcredit In Indonesia: A Matching Estimator Approach," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 48(1), pages 128-155.
- Zeller, Manfred, 1994. "Determinants of credit rationing," FCND discussion papers 2, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Helen H. Jensen & Steven T. Yen, 1995.
"U.S. Food Expenditures Away From Home by Type of Meal,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
95-wp143, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Yen, Steven, 1996. "U.S. Food Expenditures Away from Home by Type of Meal," Staff General Research Papers 922, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Todd, Petra, 1998. "Matching as an Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 261-94, April.
- Julie Anderson Schaffner, 2002. "Heteroskedastic Sample Selection And Developing-Country Wage Equations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 269-280, May.
- Przeworski, Adam & Vreeland, James Raymond, 2000. "The effect of IMF programs on economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 385-421, August.
- Schafgans, Marcia M.A. & Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2002.
"On Intercept Estimation In The Sample Selection Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 40-50, February.
- Marcia M Schafgans & Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2000. "On Intercept Estimation in the Sample Selection Model," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/380, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Marcia M. A. Schafgans & Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2000. "On intercept estimation in the sample selection model," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6868, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Raymond Vreeland, James, 2002. "The Effect of IMF Programs on Labor," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 121-139, January.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, December.
- Akoten, John E & Sawada, Yasuyuki & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2006. "The Determinants of Credit Access and Its Impacts on Micro and Small Enterprises: The Case of Garment Producers in Kenya," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 927-44, July.
- Zeller, Manfred & Diagne, Aliou & Mataya, Charles, 1997. "Market access by smallholder farmers in Malawi," FCND discussion papers 35, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Francis Nathan Okurut, 2006. "Access to credit by the poor in South Africa: Evidence from Household Survey Data 1995 and 2000," Working Papers 13/2006, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Zeller, Manfred & Sharma, Manohar & Ahmed, Akhter U. & Rashid, Shahidur, 2001. "Group-based financial institutions for the rural poor in Bangladesh: an institutional- and household-level analysis," Research reports 120, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.