Food security in South Asia: strategies and programmes for regional collaboration
AbstractThe study examines movements over time in key factors influencing food security in South Asia. Country level and regional level food security indices (FSI) were constructed to track progress in achieving food security keeping in view its availability, stability, access, and nutritional status dimensions. The results show that despite an overall increase in food production in SAARC countries, there has been no significant improvement in food security in the region. The lack of progress in improving food security and reducing hunger and malnutrition in some countries shows that their economic structure in terms of asset and income distribution; low investment in health, education, and agricultural R&D; and slow progress in HDI and gender disparities may be key factors. The study stresses upon the need for regional collaboration for ensuring food security and early solutions of issues that hurdle the initiation or limit the benefits of collaborated programmes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38077.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Food Security; Food Policy; Food Requirements; Food Reserves; Food Resources; Food Supply; South Asia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Surabhi Mittal & Deepti Sethi, 2009.
"Food Security in South Asia : Issues and Opportunities,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22917, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Surabhi Mittal & Deepti Sethi, 2009. "Food Security in South Asia: Issues and Opportunities," Working Papers id:2205, eSocialSciences.
- Ahmed, Sadiq, 2009. "Accelerating Growth and Job Creation in South Asia," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198060048 edited by Ghani, Ejaz.
- Wodon, Quentin & Zaman, Hassan, 2008. "Rising food prices in Sub-Saharan Africa : poverty impact and policy responses," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4738, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.