An analysis of technical efficiency of rice farmers in pakistani Punjab
AbstractThis study uses stochastic Cobb-Douglas production frontier to estimate farm level technical efficiency of rice farms. Average technical efficiency of sampled farms was estimated to be 85 percent with a minimum of 57 percent and a maximum of 96 percent. The results further showed that the visits of agricultural extension agents on the farm or farmers' visits to extension office and the availability of agricultural credit played significant role in improving technical efficiency. More experienced (aged) and educated farmers also realized high productive efficiency and thus output; however, the effect was not statistically significant. These results imply that considerable scope exists in the sampled area to increase rice output by improving farm management and providing other facilities to the farmers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37702.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Economics 2.XXII(1999): pp. 79-86
Increased rice output; farm management; technical efficiency of rice farms; agriculture;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalirajan, K P, 1990. "On Measuring Economic Efficiency," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 75-85, January-M.
- K. Kalirajan, 1981. "An Econometric Analysis of Yield Variability in Paddy Production," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 29(3), pages 283-294, November.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Abedullah & Khuda Bakhsh & Bashir Ahmad, 2006. "Technical Efficiency and its Determinants in Potato Production, Evidence from Punjab, Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 11(2), pages 1-22, Jul-Dec.
- Villano, Renato A. & Fleming, Euan M., 2004. "Analysis of Technical Efficiency in a Rainfed Lowland Rice Environment in Central Luzon Philippines Using a Stochastic Frontier Production Function with a Heteroskedastic Error Structure," Working Papers 12906, University of New England, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.