Quality of ski resorts and competition between the Emilian Apennines and Altipiani Trentini. An estimate of the hedonic price
AbstractWe use the hedonic framework to estimate and simulate the hedonic ticket prices of 19 ski resorts in the Emilian Apennines and Altipiani Trentini. To do so, we combine data on lift facilities and slopes from several sources as well as climatic data and characteristics of the ski resorts over the 2008‐2011 winter seasons. Hedonic linear and logarithmic regression models are estimated for weekdays and weekends ticket prices. Our robust regression of changes in hedonic prices with respect to the characteristic of the ski resorts yield precise and consistent estimates of positive effects on ticket prices. We find that willingness to pay (WTP) for the length of winter season tends to be higher than transport capacity, length and the altitude of the slopes or the other characteristic of the chairlifts and ski runs. Then, we use our estimates to predict the ticket price level as a measure of the quality of the ski resort. We found that the perception of skiers is very selective and their choices are based on the characteristic of the ski resort.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37237.
Date of creation: 02 Feb 2012
Date of revision: 02 Feb 2012
Hedonic price; ski resorts; Emilian Apennines; predicted prices;
Other versions of this item:
- Sergio Alessandrini, 2013. "Quality of Ski Resorts and Competition Between the Emilian Apennines and Altipiani Trentini. an Estimate of the Hedonic Price," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 5(1), pages 42-69, June.
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-03-21 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-TUR-2012-03-21 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James G. Mulligan, 2006. "Endogenously determined Quality and Price In a Two-Sector Competitive Service Market With an Application to Down-Hill Skiing," Working Papers 06-01, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- James G. Mulligan & Emmanuel Llinares, 2003. "Market Segmentation and the Diffusion of Quality-Enhancing Innovations: The Case of Downhill Skiing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 493-501, August.
- Tim Pawlowski & Christoph Breuer, 2010. "The Monetary Value of Winter Sport Services in the European Alps," Working Papers 1003, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Stefan Borsky & Paul A. Raschky, 2009. "The Hedonics of Hedonism - Estimating the Value of Risk-Taking Activities," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(2), pages 210-225, 04.
- Martin Falk, 2011. "International Price Differences in Ski Lift Tickets," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 147(III), pages 303-336, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Wolff, François-Charles, 2014.
"Lift ticket prices and quality in French ski resorts: Insights from a non-parametric analysis,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 237(3), pages 1155-1164.
- François Charles Wolff, 2014. "Lift ticket prices and quality in French ski resorts: Insights from a non-parametric analysis," Working Papers hal-00957842, HAL.
- Francois-Charles Wolff, 2014. "Lift ticket prices and quality in French ski resorts: Insights from a non-parametric analysis," Working Papers hal-00952999, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.