Martingale properties of self-enforcing debt
AbstractNot-too-tight (NTT) debt limits are endogenous restrictions on debt that prevent agents from defaulting and opting for a specified continuation utility, while allowing for maximal credit expansion (Alvarez and Jermann, 2000). For an agent facing some fixed prices for the Arrow securities, we prove that discounted NTT debt limits must differ by a martingale. Discounted debt limits are submartingales/martingales under an interdiction to trade/borrow, and can be supermartingales under a temporary interdiction to trade. With high interest rates and borrowing limited by the agent's ability to repay debt out of his future endowments, nonpositive NTT debt limits are unique. With low interest rates, bubbles limited by the size of the total martingale components in debt limits can be sustained in equilibrium. Bubbles arise in response to debt limits more restrictive (at the prevailing interest rates) than the total amount of self-enforcing debt allowed by the underlying enforcement limitations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36609.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2011
Date of revision: 12 Feb 2012
rational bubbles; endogenous debt limits; not-too-tight constraints; self-enforcing debt; limited enforcement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K, 1993.
"Debt-Constrained Asset Markets,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 865-88, October.
- Bloise, Gaetano & Reichlin, Pietro, 2011.
"Asset prices, debt constraints and inefficiency,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(4), pages 1520-1546, July.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008. "Asset prices, debt constraints and inefficiency," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0089, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Bloise, Gaetano & Reichlin, Pietro, 2008. "Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency," CEPR Discussion Papers 6779, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin, 2008. "Asset Prices, Debt Constraints and Inefficiency," EIEF Working Papers Series 0803, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2008.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1997.
"Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 19-58, January.
- Santos, Manuel S. & Woodford, Michael, . "Rational asset pricing bubbles," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3913, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Manuel S. Santos & Michael Woodford, 1993. "Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles," Working Papers 9304, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Costas Azariadis & Leo Kaas, 2012.
"Endogenous credit limits with small default costs,"
2012-048, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Costas Azariadis & Leo Kaas, 2012. "Endogenous Credit Limits with Small Default Costs," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2012-17, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Kevin X.D. Huang & Jan Werner, 2000. "Asset price bubbles in Arrow-Debreu and sequential equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 253-278.
- Bidian, Florin & Bejan, Camelia, 2011. "Supplement to ``Martingale properties of self-enforcing debt''," MPRA Paper 36610, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Feb 2012.
- Gaetano Bloise & Pietro Reichlin & Mario Tirelli, 2013. "Fragility of Competitive Equilibrium with Risk of Default," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(2), pages 271-295, April.
- Jan Werner, 2012. "Rational Asset Pricing Bubbles Revisited," 2012 Meeting Papers 1165, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bejan, Camelia & Bidian, Florin, 2010. "Limited enforcement, bubbles and trading in incomplete markets," MPRA Paper 36819, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Feb 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.