Mathematical analysis and numerical methods for pricing pension plans allowing early retirement
AbstractIn this paper, we address the mathematical analysis and numerical solution of a model for pricing a defined benefit pension plan. More precisely, the benefits received by the member of the plan depend on the average salary and early retirement is allowed. Thus, the mathematical model is posed as an obstacle problem associated to a Kolmogorov equation in the time region where the salary is being averaged. Previously to the initial averaging date, a nonhomogeneous one factor Black-Scholes equation is posed. After stating the model, existence and regularity of solutions are studied. Moreover, appropriate numerical methods based on a Lagrange-Galerkin discretization and an augmented Lagrangian active set method are proposed. Finally, some numerical examples illustrate the performance of the numerical techniques and the properties of the solution and the free boundary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36494.
Date of creation: 06 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
retirement plans; options pricing; Kolmogorov equations; complementarity problem; numerical methods; augmented Lagrangian formulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2012-02-20 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2012-02-20 (Computational Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea, Pascucci, 2007.
"Free boundary and optimal stopping problems for American Asian options,"
4766, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Pascucci, 2008. "Free boundary and optimal stopping problems for American Asian options," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 21-41, January.
- Laura Monti & Andrea Pascucci, 2009. "Obstacle problem for Arithmetic Asian options," Papers 0910.4257, arXiv.org.
- Zvi Bodie, 1989.
"Pensions as Retirement Income Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
2917, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- E. Chevalier, 2006. "Optimal Early Retirement Near the Expiration of a Pension Plan," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 204-221, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.