Grundzüge der Besteuerung von Sportwetten aus Sicht der Praxis
[The taxation of sport betting: a professional's view]
AbstractThe German sport betting market has traditionally been subjected to a strict regulation. The legal framework valid until the end of 2011 is defined by a state treaty between the federal government and the 16 states (Glücksspielstaatsvertrag), which only allows the public company Oddset to operate legally. This state treaty is currently under revision and several options with different taxation models are discussed. The present paper offers a brief theoretical analysis of the models under debate and a first empirical outlook of their consequences on the gambling market, especially on the sport betting sector in Germany. Three models of sport betting taxation and their empirical outcomes are presented in detail.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36449.
Date of creation: 31 Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Gambling; sports betting; taxation; sports economics; state lotteries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-GER-2012-02-20 (German Papers)
- NEP-SPO-2012-02-20 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallet, Craig A. & List, John A., 1998. "Elasticities of beer demand revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 67-71, October.
- Rebeggiani, Luca, 2012. "Regulierung des deutschen Sportwettenmarktes in komparativer Perspektive: Glücksspielgesetze in der Europäischen Union," Edition HWWI: Chapters, in: Sport und Sportgroßveranstaltungen in Europa - zwischen Zentralstaat und Regionen, pages 51-78 Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Molly Espey, 1996. "Explaining the Variation in Elasticity Estimates of Gasoline Demand in the United States: A Meta-Analysis," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 49-60.
- Luca Rebeggiani, 2009. "The Liga Portuguesa decision of the European Court of Justice – An economist’s view," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 5(3), pages 111-122, Dicembre.
- Bräuninger, Michael & Schulze, Sven, 2010. "Überprüfung der Methodik zur Schätzung der nicht in Deutschland versteuerten Zigaretten," HWWI Policy Papers 1-27, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Gulley, O. David & Scott, Frank A. Jr., 1993. "The Demand for Wagering on State-Operated Lotto Games," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 46(1), pages 13-22, March Cit.
- Grossman, Michael & Chaloupka, Frank J & Sirtalan, Ismail, 1998.
"An Empirical Analysis of Alcohol Addiction: Results from the Monitoring the Future Panels,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 39-48, January.
- Michael Grossman & Frank J. Chaloupka & Ismail Sirtalan, 1995. "An Empirical Analysis of Alcohol Addiction: Results from the Monitoring the Future Panels," NBER Working Papers 5200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Forrest, David & Gulley, O. David & Simmons, Robert, 2000. "Elasticity of Demand for UK National Lottery Tickets," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 53(n. 4), pages 853-64, December .
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.