When organization encounters uncertainty in regulatory times
AbstractRegulatory policy is a considerable factor in organizational business strategy decisions. This article puts focus on the evaluation of the regulatory policy from the perspective of the organizational cost under uncertainty. In this paper I examine the organizational cost of policy transition in different scenarios, and consider, further, what the impact on the macroeconomic and business policy would be. Three conclusions are reached: 1. The cost of strategy adoption of organizations under regulation in a monopolized industry is only affected by their own risk tolerance of uncertainty and the cost of information; 2. when the regulation is enacted in a more competitive market, the cost of information would raise with a higher expected loss comparing with the same regulation in monopolized market; 3. If the claim of such measurement is true, the net benefit or loss of regulation is exactly the difference between organizational information cost and regulatory benefit. So the policy that guarantees the positive communication and transparent information exchange that helps to reduce the organizational information cost is necessary for an efficient regulatory policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36240.
Date of creation: 22 May 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research 9.2(2011): pp. 177-184
Regulation; Organization; Contract; Uncertainty;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CTA-2012-02-20 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-REG-2012-02-20 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Georges Enderle, 2010. "Wealth Creation in China and Some Lessons for Development Ethics," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 96(1), pages 1-15, September.
- Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2010.
"Theoretical Notes on Bubbles and the Current Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
16399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2011. "Theoretical Notes on Bubbles and the Current Crisis," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(1), pages 6-40, April.
- Martin, Alberto & Ventura, Jaume, 2010. "Theoretical Notes on Bubbles and the Current Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 8038, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2010. "Theoretical Notes on Bubbles and the Current Crisis," Working Papers 519, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Alberto Martin & Jaume Ventura, 2010. "Theoretical notes on bubbles and the current crisis," Economics Working Papers, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra 1222, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Feb 2011.
- Martin, Alberto & Ventura, Jaume, 2011. "Theoretical notes on bubbles and the current crisis," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 1348, European Central Bank.
- Tilman Brück, 2004.
"An Economic Analysis of Security Policies,"
HiCN Working Papers
06, Households in Conflict Network.
- Tilman Bruck, 2005. "An Economic Analysis Of Security Policies," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 375-389.
- George Lermer & W. T. Stanbury, 1985. "Measuring the Cost of Redistributing Income by Means of Direct Regulation," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 190-207, February.
- Rolf H. Weber, 2010. "Multilayered Governance in International Financial Regulation and Supervision," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 683-704, September.
- Gary Fromm, 1981. "Studies in Public Regulation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number from81-1, July.
- Georges Enderle, 2009. "A Rich Concept of Wealth Creation Beyond Profit Maximization and Adding Value," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, Springer, vol. 84(3), pages 281-295, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.