The Management of Greek Sovereign Risk
AbstractIn 2010 the excessive public spending produced the first sovereign bond market crisis in Europe: Greece. The Hellenic crisis is the product of years of recession, of the sluggish economic environment and poor productivity – but above all it is the product of the mismanagement of the public finance, of unsatisfactory reporting, risk management and accounting practices. Information about Greece is scarce and fragmented, but the inability by European authorities to understand the incredible mismanagement strongly disappoints the taxpayer. The relevant exposure of European banks in the bond market toward the default risk of Greece supports the need for hedging tools, such as Credit Default Swaps. However, there is evidence that the CDS market on Greek sovereign bonds is segmented, and contracts are mis-priced. The lack of comprehensive data on CDS and other OTC contracts impedes any further investigation. European authorities should consider revising CDSs trading rules and requirements, until the risks produced are properly limited
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36195.
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The UIP Journal of Financial Risk Management 4.VIII(2011): pp. 25-36
Greek crisis; Credit Default Swap; sovereign risk management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
- H3 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo, Rodolfo, 2009.
"The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(01), pages 109-132, February.
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo-Helfenberger, Rodolfo, 2004. "The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia," SIFR Research Report Series 32, Institute for Financial Research.
- Jan Ericsson & Kris Jacobs & Rodolfo A. Oviedo, 2004. "The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-55, CIRANO.
- Oldani, Chiara & Savona, Paolo, 2005. "Derivatives, Fiscal Policy and Financial Stability," MPRA Paper 36199, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.