Job-search and FDI in a two-sector general equilibrium model
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to extend the Fields’ (1989) multi sector job-search model by introducing international trade and capital. Two types of capital are considered: fixed capital and mobile capital. The effects of search intensity and the inflow of foreign capital on the volume and the rate of urban unemployment and on the social welfare are also examined in both of the two cases. The main finding is: more efficient on-the-job search from the rural sector raises unemployment rate when capital is mobile between the two sectors. This is counterproductive to the standard result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35564.
Date of creation: 15 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Job search; foreign capital; unemployment rate; ex-post labour; ex-ante labour; general equilibrium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fatih Macit, 2010. "Labor Market Institutions and Wage and Inflation Dynamics," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 40(3), pages 393-410, December.
- James Mabli & Christopher Flinn, 2007.
"On-the-Job Search, Minimum Wages, and Labor Market Outcomes in an Equilibrium Bargaining Framework,"
2007 Meeting Papers
791, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christopher Flinn & James Mabli, 2008. "On-the-Job Search, Minimum Wages, and Labor Market Outcomes in an Equilibrium Bargaining Framework," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 91, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Edward M. Gramlich, 1976. "Impact of Minimum Wages on Other Wages, Employment, and Family Incomes," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 7(2), pages 409-462.
- Yu Sheng & Xingpeng Xu, 2007. "Terms of Trade Shocks and Endogenous Search Unemployment: A Two-sector Model with Non-Traded goods," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_025, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jansen, Marcel & Jimeno, Juan Francisco, 2003.
"On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogeneous Jobs and Workers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- JuanJ. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & JuanF. Jimeno, 2009. "On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogeneous Jobs and Workers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(534), pages 200-228, 01.
- Juan J. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & Juan F. Jimeno, 2008. "On the job search in a matching model with heterogeneous jobs and workers," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0813, Banco de Espa�a.
- Dolado, Juan José & Jansen, Marcel & Jimeno, Juan F., 2003. "On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogenous Jobs and Workers," IZA Discussion Papers 886, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan J. Dolado & Marcel Jansen & Juan F. Jimeno, . "On-the-Job Search in a Matching Model with Heterogenous Jobs and Workers," Working Papers 2003-21, FEDEA.
- Robert M. Hussey, 2005. "On-the-Job Search and Wage Rigidity in a General Equilibrium Model," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 393, Society for Computational Economics.
- Fields, Gary S., 1975. "Rural-urban migration, urban unemployment and underemployment, and job-search activity in LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 165-187, June.
- Fields, Gary S., 1989. "On-the-job search in a labor market model : Ex ante choices and ex post outcomes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 159-178, January.
- Peter G. Mavromatis & George Verikios, 2008. "Does it Matter Whether Market Distortions are Evaluated Using Comparative-statics or Dynamics?," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-178, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.