Mobile telephony in the UK
AbstractThis paper discusses aspects of recent policy towards mobile telephony in the U.K., including (i) the level of retail charges for calls from fixed to mobile networks, (ii) the level of call termination charges on mobile networks, and (iii) the level of connection subsidies offered by mobile networks. A formal model of the market is introduced, which offers a direct linkage between call termination rates and the level of connection subsidy. This provides a framework for discussing the ideal level of call termination charges on mobile networks, a topic of current controversy in the U.K.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35405.
Date of creation: Sep 1997
Date of revision:
Telecommunications; regulation; access pricing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell,Bridger M. & Vogelsang,Ingo, 1992.
Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521426787.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1997. "Competition in Telecommunications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 64-82, Spring.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2014.
"Competition between multiple asymmetric networks: Theory and applications,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 57-69.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2010. "Competition Between Multiple Asymmetric Networks: Theory and Applications," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 8060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2010. "The relationship between mobile and fixed-line communications: A survey," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 4-17, March.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2001. "The theory of access pricing and interconnection," MPRA Paper 15608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2003. "Price Regulation of Access to Telecommunications Networks," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 830-862, September.
- Tommaso Valletti & George Houpis, 2005. "Mobile Termination: What is the â€œRightâ€ Charge?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 235-258, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.