The impact of electricity storage on wholesale electricity prices
AbstractThis paper analyzes the impact of electricity storage on the production cost of a power system and the marginal cost of electricity (electricity price) using a unit commitment model. Also real world data has been analyzed to verify the e®ect of storage operation on the electricity price using econometric techniques. The unit commitment model found that the deployment of a storage system reduces the fuel cost of the power system but increases the average electricity price through its e®ect on the power system operation. However, the reduction in the production cost was found to be less than the increase in the consumer's cost of electricity resulting in a net increase in costs due to storage. Di®erent storage and CO2 price scenarios were investigated to study the sensitivity of these results. The regression analysis supports the unit commitment results and ¯nds that the presence of storage increases average wholesale electricity prices for the case study system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34941.
Date of creation: 08 Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Electricity storage; Electricity price; Production cost;
Other versions of this item:
- Nyamdash, Batsaikhan & Denny, Eleanor, 2013. "The impact of electricity storage on wholesale electricity prices," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 6-16.
- P28 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Natural Resources; Environment
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tuohy, Aidan & Meibom, Peter & Denny, Eleanor & O'Malley, Mark, 2009. "Unit commitment for systems with significant wind penetration," MPRA Paper 34849, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Troy, Niamh & Denny, Eleanor & O'Malley, Mark, 2010. "Base-load cycling on a system with significant wind penetration," MPRA Paper 34848, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Benitez, Liliana E. & Benitez, Pablo C. & van Kooten, G. Cornelis, 2008.
"The economics of wind power with energy storage,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1973-1989, July.
- Crampes, Claude & Moreaux, Michel, 2010. "Pumped storage and cost saving," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 325-333, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.