Political dispensation and macroeconomic performance in Nigeria (1970-2009)
AbstractThis study examines the extent to which Nigeria has benefited from its democratic experience since independence. Using simple descriptive statistics and data series from 1970 to 2009, the study showed that the trend in macroeconomic performance has not significantly improved. Indeed, the period of democratic regimes seemed more volatile than the other period of non-democratic regimes. The policy inferences from this analysis are that there is more to socioeconomic development than the form of government. Unless those development-enhancing factors are addressed, democracy may not lead to improved socioeconomic development in Nigeria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34821.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Political Dispensation; Democratic Governance and Macroeconomic Performance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P51 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Analysis of Economic Systems
- P16 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Political Economy of Capitalism
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997. "Fourth Moment Structure of the GARCH (p, q) Process," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 168, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Kathryn M. Dominguez, 1999.
"The Market Microstructure of Central Bank Intervention,"
NBER Working Papers
7337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M. E., 2003. "The market microstructure of central bank intervention," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 25-45, January.
- Dominguez & K., 1997. "The Market Microstructure of Central Bank Intervention," Working Papers 412, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.