The theorem of existence of the ruptures in probability scale and the basic question of insurance
AbstractThe theorem of existence of the ruptures in the probability scale was proved in 2010. The theorem is used to analyze and to partially answer to the basic questions of insurance. The question is “To insure or not”. The goal of this paper is to reveal pure mathematical aspects of insurance processes and to analyze these aspects by pure mathematical methods, including application of the theorem. Its most significant result: when uncertainty increases, then taking the theorem into account may reverse insurant’s and insurer’s decisions to the opposite ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34780.
Date of creation: 16 Nov 2011
Date of revision:
insurance; underwriting; probability; uncertainty; dispersion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emilio C. Venezian, 2006. "The use of spectral analysis in insurance cycle research," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 177-188, March.
- David M. Cutler & Amy Finkelstein & Kathleen McGarry, 2008.
"Preference Heterogeneity and Insurance Markets: Explaining a Puzzle of Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
13746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Cutler & Amy Finkelstein & Kathleen McGarry, 2008. "Preference Heterogeneity and Insurance Markets: Explaining a Puzzle of Insurance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 157-62, May.
- Winter, Ralph A, 1991. "Solvency Regulation and the Property-Liability "Insurance Cycle."," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(3), pages 458-71, July.
- Cutler, David & McGarry, Kathleen & Finkelstein, Amy, 2008. "Preference Heterogeneity and Insurance Markets: Explaining a Puzzle of Insurance," Scholarly Articles 2640581, Harvard University Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.