The threshold nonstationary panel data approach to forward premiums
AbstractThis paper analyzes the stationarity of forward premiums in the foreign exchange markets. Considering a wide range of countries and contract periods and taking into account cross-sectional correlations and heterogeneities in nonstationary environments, we confirmed mixed evidence of stationary forward premiums. However, mounting evidence to support the stationarity is provided when regime shifts which likely reflect the effects of the Lehman Shock and changing monetary policies are considered. Thus these events seem to have increased the nonstationary element in the premiums, and our further analysis suggests the effect of these events can be captured by interest rates, leaving the covered interest parity condition as a valid long-run concept.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34265.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Panel unit root tests; structural shifts; forward premiums; Lehman shock;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Engel, 1996.
"The Forward Discount Anomaly and the Risk Premium: A Survey of Recent Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles, 1996. "The forward discount anomaly and the risk premium: A survey of recent evidence," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-192, June.
- Liu, Wei & Maynard, Alex, 2005. "Testing forward rate unbiasedness allowing for persistent regressors," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 613-628, December.
- Sakoulis, Georgios & Zivot, Eric & Choi, Kyongwook, 2010. "Structural change in the forward discount: Implications for the forward rate unbiasedness hypothesis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 957-966, December.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1987. "Covered Interest Parity: A High-Frequency, High-Quality Data Study," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(216), pages 429-38, November.
- Barkoulas, John & Baum, Christopher F. & Chakraborty, Atreya, 2003.
"Forward premiums and market efficiency: Panel unit-root evidence from the term structure of forward premiums,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 109-122, March.
- John T. Barkoulas & Christopher F. Baum & Atreya Chakraborty, 2000. "Forward Premiums and Market Efficiency: Panel Unit-root Evidence from the Term Structure of Forward Premiums," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 461, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 13 Jun 2001.
- MacDonald, Ronald & Moore, Michael J., 2001. "The spot-forward relationship revisited: an ERM perspective," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 29-52, March.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2010. "The Common Component in the Forward Premium: Evidence from the Asia-Pacific Region," MPRA Paper 24549, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fukuta, Yuichi & Saito, Makoto, 2002. "Forward Discount Puzzle and Liquidity Effects: Some Evidence from Exchange Rates among the United States, Canada, and Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 1014-33, November.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2006.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
056, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Baillie, Richard T & Bollerslev, Tim, 1994.
"The long memory of the forward premium,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 565-571, October.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2013.
"Minimum LM unit root test with one structural break,"
AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2483-2492.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2004. "Minimum LM Unit Root Test with One Structural Break," Working Papers 04-17, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hai, Weike & Mark, Nelson C & Wu, Yangru, 1997. "Understanding Spot and Forward Exchange Rate Regressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 715-34, Nov.-Dec..
- Barnhart, Scott W. & McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles S., 1999. "Non-Informative Tests of the Unbiased Forward Exchange Rate," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(02), pages 265-291, June.
- Pippenger, John, 2011. "The solution to the forward-bias puzzle," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 296-304, April.
- Ho, Tsung-Wu, 2003. "A re-examination of the unbiasedness forward rate hypothesis using dynamic SUR model," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 542-559.
- Papell, David H & Theodoridis, Hristos, 2001. "The Choice of Numeraire Currency in Panel Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 790-803, August.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2003. "Minimum Lagrange Multiplier Unit Root Test with Two Structural Breaks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1082-1089, November.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Seo, Byeongseon, 2003. "The impact of the Asian financial crisis on foreign exchange market efficiency: The case of East Asian countries," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 509-525, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.