Measuring Food Security for Pakistan Using 2007-08 HIES Data
AbstractFood is one of the most basic rights of every one living on this earth to get food. Food insecurity has very serious consequences in term of undermining people’s health, productivity and even their very survival. Sufficient food policy should not distract us from the need to find ways to address hunger. In this study we have calculated food security indicators related to food access and utilization by using Household Integrated Economic Survey(HIES) 2007-08 data. Almost 25% of the population is suffering from high food insecurity and 40% population is suffering from medium level of food insecurity. Cereals comprise more than 50% of the calories consumed by all income groups. Better educated household heads have lower food insecurity level than less educated after controlling income effect. Household size and food security are negatively related. Sind province has the highest percentage of food insecure population while in absolute number Punjab has the highest number of food insecure people.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 34030.
Date of creation: 20 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Availability; Accessibility; Utilization; Food Security Indicators;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-10-22 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-10-22 (Confederation of Independent States)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Surabhi Mittal & Deepti Sethi, 2009.
"Food Security in South Asia: Issues and Opportunities,"
- Surabhi Mittal & Deepti Sethi, 2009. "Food Security in South Asia : Issues and Opportunities," Development Economics Working Papers 22917, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Asghar, Zahid & Muhammad, Ahmed, 2013. "Socio-economic Determinants of Household Food Insecurity in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 21510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muhammad, Kabeer & Asghar, Zahid, 2012. "Multi-facet approach for food security in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 42891, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.