Public health services and health care utilization in Viet Nam
AbstractThe main objectives of this paper are to review policies on health services and to provide an assessment of public health facilities and the access of people to health care services in Vietnam. Medical facilities and staffs in public establishments have been increasing. Health insurance has been expanded rapidly in the recent years. It is very encouraging that the poor and ethnic minority are more likely to be enrolled in health insurance than other people. In addition, we find that health insurance helps the insured increase health care utilization and reduce out-of-pocket spending. The density of medical staffs is also positively correlated with outpatient health care utilization. However, the quality of health care services and the access to health care services remain limited in poor, remote and mountainous areas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33610.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Health policy; health insurance; health care; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagstaff, Adam & Pradhan, Menno, 2005. "Health insurance impacts on health and nonmedical consumption in a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3563, The World Bank.
- Ardeshir Sepehri & Sisira Sarma & Wayne Simpson, 2006. "Does non-profit health insurance reduce financial burden? Evidence from the Vietnam living standards survey panel," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 603-616.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2007. "Health insurance for the poor : initial impacts of Vietnam's health care fund for the poor," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4134, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.