Sistemas sociotécnicos, innovación y desarrollo
[Sociotechnical systems, innovation and development]
AbstractFrom an Latin American perspective, a framework has been developed with input from social studies of technology (SST) and the complex systems evolutionary economics (EE) to address issues related to innovation processes, technological change and development in this region. The framework operates under assumptions of middle-range theory, bounded field-oriented problems, making combinations of concepts and generating an explanatory framework. The framework states: simplicity in the selection of concepts (convergent), specificity to understand and describe the dynamics, trajectory, joints and configurations of socio-technical systems of production and innovation. Finally, it provides a perspective of generality and scope, an explanatory model (medium range) that incorporates the contributions of empirical research generated in the political debate about development in the region. Raised in the working paper presented in paragraph 1, the contributions of the social studies of technology and evolutionary economics of complex systems to be used in the framework. Paragraph 2 sets out the key concepts of the framework and the connection between them, together with the assumptions that structure it. In section 3 describes the concepts in the context of the functioning of socio-technical systems of production and innovation. Then as a closure raises some issues to address research problems specific to the Latin American context, where you can apply the methodological framework and the implications thereof.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33559.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
innovation; development; sociotechnical systems; complex systems; evolutionary economics; STS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P0 - Economic Systems - - General
- B0 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - General
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2011-10-01 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-KNM-2011-10-01 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Beunza & David Stark, 2004. "Tools of the trade: the socio-technology of arbitrage in a Wall Street trading room," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 369-400, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982.
"Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Sandra Silva & Aurora Teixeira, 2009. "On the divergence of evolutionary research paths in the past 50 years: a comprehensive bibliometric account," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(5), pages 605-642, October.
- John Foster, 2005.
"From simplistic to complex systems in economics,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 29(6), pages 873-892, November.
- Eric von Hippel, 1998. "Economics of Product Development by Users: The Impact of "Sticky" Local Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(5), pages 629-644, May.
- Giovanni Dosi & Sébastien Lechevalier & Angelo Secchi, 2010. "Introduction: Interfirm heterogeneity--nature, sources and consequences for industrial dynamics," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 1867-1890, December.
- Cristiano, Antonelli & Scellato, Giuseppe, 2007. "Complexity and Innovation: Social Interactions and Firm Level Total Factor Productivity," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200709, University of Turin.
- Carlsson, B & Stankiewicz, R, 1991. "On the Nature, Function and Composition of Technological Systems," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 93-118, April.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2007.
"The system dynamics of collective knowledge: From gradualism and saltationism to punctuated change,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 215-236, February.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2004. "The System Dynamics of Collective Knowledge: from Gradualism and Saltationism to Punctuated Change," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200404, University of Turin.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2003. "Localized Technological Change," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200305, University of Turin.
- Facundo Albornoz & Gabriel Yoguel, 2004. "Competitiveness and production networks: the case of the Argentine automotive sector," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 619-642, August.
- Veronica Robert & Gabriel Yoguel, 2010. "La dinámica compleja de la innovación y el desarrollo económico," Programa de Investigacion de Economia del Conocimiento, Programa de Investigacion de Economia del Conocimiento, vol. 50(1), pages 423-453, diciembre.
- Rossi, Federica, 2002. "An introductory overview of innovation studies," MPRA Paper 9106, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2008.
- Metcalfe, John S. & Foster, John & Ramlogan, Ronnie, 2003.
"Adaptive Economic Growth,"
Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers
30637, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Geels, Frank W., 2010. "Ontologies, socio-technical transitions (to sustainability), and the multi-level perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 495-510, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.