The performances of the national logistic systems: what strategies to reduce the Italian gap?
AbstractThe Italian logistics suffer a strong competitive gap in comparison with the other European countries. This performance deficit generates 7.5 billion euro additional congestion costs for the Italian system: the reduction of the logistic costs would have a remarkable impact on the competitiveness of the Italian undertakings. Consequently, it is absolutely necessary to start effective policies in order to mind the gap with the competitors and to remove the infrastructural bottlenecks. In order to take up these challenges, two main knots must be untied: the infrastructure financing and the impact of the structure of the logistic sector on the overall system performance. As regards the former issue, the situation is very critical for those Member States (Italy) reporting infrastructure gap: the evolution of EU scenario pushes towards a more and more intense pressure on the public spending containment. With regard to the latter, Italy suffers from a low average dimension of the logistic operators. This paper suggests feasible solutions to solve the above mentioned problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33374.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision: 2011
national logistic system; performance gap; Private Public Partnership; national champions; city logistics; industrial policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Estache & Tomas Serebrisky, 2004.
"Where do We Stand on Transport Infrastructure Deregulation and Public-Private Partnerships?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2004. "Where do we stand on transport infrastructure deregulation and public-private partnership?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3356, The World Bank.
- Gros-Pietro Gian Maria, 2006. "Autostrade: meglio pubbliche o private?," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 523-532.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.