Estimation of multiple-regime regressions with least absolutes deviation
AbstractThis paper considers least absolute deviations estimation of a regression model with multiple change points occurring at unknown times. Some asymptotic results, including rates of convergence and asymptotic distributions, for the estimated change points and the estimated regression coefficient are derived. Results are obtained without assuming that each regime spans a positive fraction of the sample size. In addition, the number of change points is allowed to grow as the sample size increases. Estimation of the number of change points is also considered. A feasible computational algorithm is developed. An application is also given, along with some monte carlo simulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32916.
Date of creation: Feb 1995
Date of revision: Feb 1998
Publication status: Published in Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 1.74(1998): pp. 103-134
Multiple change points; multiple-regime regressions; least absolute deviation; asymptotic distribution;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
- Bai, Jushan, 1995. "Least Absolute Deviation Estimation of a Shift," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 403-436, June.
- Gombay, Edit & Horváth, Lajos, 1994. "Limit theorems for change in linear regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 43-69, January.
- Michael J. Dueker, 1992. "The response of market interest rates to discount rate changes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 78-91.
- Bhattacharya, P.K., 1987. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a change-point in the distribution of independent random variables: General multiparameter case," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 183-208, December.
- V. Vance Roley & Simon M. Wheatley, 1990. "Temporal Variation in the Interest-Rate Response to Money Announcements," NBER Working Papers 3471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oka, Tatsushi & Qu, Zhongjun, 2011.
"Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 248-267, June.
- Zhongjun Qu & Tatsushi Oka, 2010. "Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2010-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.