What the keynesian theory said about Portugal?
AbstractThis work aims to test the Verdoorn Law, with the alternative specifications of (1)Kaldor (1966), for the 28 NUTS III Portuguese in the period 1995 to 1999. It is intended to test, also in this work, the alternative interpretation of (2)Rowthorn (1975) about the Verdoorn's Law for the same regions and periods. With this study we want, also, to test the Verdoorn´s Law at a regional and a sectoral levels (NUTs II) for the period 1995-1999. The importance of some additional variables in the original specification of Verdoorn´s Law is also tested, such as, trade flows, capital accumulation and labour concentration. The main objective is to confirm the presence of economies to scale that characterise the polarisation process with cumulative causation properties, explaining regional divergence. By introducing new variables to the original specification of Verdoorn´s Law we intend to examine how the economies to scale are influenced by the consideration of factors related to the Polarisation (Keynensian tradition) and Agglomeration (spatial economics tradition) phenomena. This study analyses, yet, through cross-section estimation methods, the influence of spatial effects in productivity in the NUTs III economic sectors of mainland Portugal from 1995 to 1999, considering the Verdoorn relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32610.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Verdoorn law; spatial autocorrelation; Portuguese regions;
Other versions of this item:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2011-08-15 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PKE-2011-08-15 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Christian Dreger, 2006.
"Thresholds for employment and unemployment: A spatial analysis of German regional labour markets, 1992-2000,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 523-542, November.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Christian Dreger, 2005. "Thresholds for Employment and Unemployment - a Spatial Analysis of German Regional Labour Markets 1992-2000," ERSA conference papers ersa05p39, European Regional Science Association.
- Ingrid H. Rima, 2010. "The Political Economy of the Undervalued Renminbi," DETU Working Papers 1012, Department of Economics, Temple University.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011.
"An alternative use of the Verdoorn law at the Portuguese nuts II level,"
32189, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011. "An Alternative Use of the Verdoorn Law at the Portuguese NUTs II Level," Papers 1110.5548, arXiv.org.
- Ferdinando Ofria, 2009. "L'approccio Kaldor-Verdoorn: una verifica empirica per il Centro-Nord e il Mezzogiorno d'Italia (anni 1951-2006)," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 1, pages 179-207, January-M.
- Giorgio Fazio & Enza Maltese & Davide Piacentino, 2013.
"Estimating Verdoorn law for Italian firms and regions,"
Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences,
Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 45-54, March.
- Fazio, Giorgio & Maltese, Enza & Piacentino, Davide, 2011. "Estimating Verdoorn law for Italian firms and regions," MPRA Paper 35388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fingleton, B., 1999. "Economic Geography with Spatial Econometrics: a 'Third Way' to Analyse Economic Development and 'Equilibrium', with Application to the EU Regions," Economics Working Papers eco99/21, European University Institute.
- Fernando de Aquino Fonseca Neto & Joanílio Rodolpho Teixeira, 2004. "Globalização Econômica e Investimentos no Brasil," Working papers - Textos para Discussao do Departamento de Economia da Universidade de Brasilia 322, Departamento de Economia da Universidade de Brasilia.
- Nicholas Apergis & Spyros Zikos, 2003. "The Law of Verdoorn: Evidence from Greek Disaggregated Manufacturing Time Series Data," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(1), pages 87â104.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011.
"Spatial Effects and Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Context,"
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "Spatial effects and Verdoorn law in the Portuguese context," MPRA Paper 32183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elias Soukiazis & Vitor Martinho, 2005. "Economias à Escala e Endogeneidade dos Factores Produtivos. Análise regional e sectorial ao nível das NUTs II portuguesas," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 22, pages 23-50, December.
- Stilianos Alexiadis & Dimitrios Tsagdis, 2006. "Reassessing the validity of Verdoorn's law under conditions of spatial dependence: a case study of the Greek regions," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(1), pages 149-170, October.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011.
"The Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Regions: A Panel Data Analysis,"
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "The Verdoorn law in the Portuguese regions: a panel data analysis," MPRA Paper 32186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Romina Gambacorta, 2004. "Il dibattito sulla legge di Verdoorn: alcuni risultati empirici usando l’analisi di cointegrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(3), pages 251-, May-June.
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- repec:kas:wpaper:2004-52 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rowthorn, R E, 1979. "A Note on Verdoorn's Law," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 131-33, March.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "What said the economic theory about Portugal. Another approach," MPRA Paper 33022, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "Application of keynesian theory and new economic geography in Portugal. Differences and similarities," MPRA Paper 32911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.