Determinants of increased real prices of livestock in Balochistan
AbstractThe real prices of livestock in Balochistan have been increasing dramatically over the last decade and still there is no sign for them to recede. There is no study that accounts for determinants of this rise in the real prices of livestock in Balochistan. The purpose of this research was to find out the determinants for the increasing real prices of livestock. The research was mainly conducted in Balochistan including rural and urban areas of Quetta, Mastung and Kuchlaq. Twenty-nine farmers, livestock experts, government agencies and vets were selected as the respondents to gather data using questioning technique. In addition, some of the data was also obtained from the report of SMEDA. Judgemental sampling was used as the method for data collection from the respondents. The data thus collected was descriptively analysed. The study found that the determinants for the rise in the real prices of livestock included shortage of production/supply, high risk of raising animals, smuggling of livestock across the boarders, lack of government support and low level of technological use.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32608.
Date of creation: 03 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
real prices; livestock; Balochistan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
- D00 - Microeconomics - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-15 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chad E. Hart & Bruce A. Babcock & Dermot J. Hayes, 2001.
"Livestock Revenue Insurance,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
99-wp224, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Tokgoz, Simla & Elobeid, Amani E. & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Yu, Tun-Hsiang (Edward) & Dong, Fengxia & Hart, Chad E. & Beghin, John C., 2007. "Long-Term and Global Tradeoffs between Bio-Energy, Feed, and Food," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9811, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.