Innovation and Export of Vietnam’s SME Sector
AbstractInnovation has long been considered an important factor for creating and maintaining the competitiveness of nations and firms. The relationship between innovation and exporting has been investigated for many countries. However, there is a paucity of research in Vietnam with respect to this issue. In this paper we examine whether innovation performed by Vietnam’s small and medium enterprises (SMEs) enhances their exporting likelihood. Using the recently released Vietnam Small and Medium Enterprise Survey 2005, we find that innovation as measured directly by ‘new products’, ‘new production process’ and ‘improvement of existing products’ are important determinants of exports by Vietnamese SMEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3256.
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Vietnam; Export; Innovation; Small and Medium Enterprise;
Other versions of this item:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-05-19 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-DEV-2007-05-19 (Development)
- NEP-ENT-2007-05-19 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2007-05-19 (Innovation)
- NEP-INT-2007-05-19 (International Trade)
- NEP-TID-2007-05-19 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-05-19 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2003.
"Export Behavior and Firm productivity in German Manufacturing. A Firm-Level Analysis,"
Development Working Papers
184, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2005. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-Level Analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(2), pages 219-243, July.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Katrin Hussinger, 2004. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A firm-level analysis," International Trade 0403007, EconWPA, revised 02 Nov 2004.
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Hussinger, Katrin, 2004. "Export Behavior and Firm Productivity in German Manufacturing: A Firm-level Analysis," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2002.
"Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP10/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2009. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative approaches to evaluation in empirical microeconomics," CeMMAP working papers CWP26/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Mónica Costa Dias, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," CEF.UP Working Papers 0805, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Blundell, Richard & Costa Dias, Monica, 2008. "Alternative Approaches to Evaluation in Empirical Microeconomics," IZA Discussion Papers 3800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cuong LE VAN & H. Cagri SAGLAM, 2001.
"Quality of Knowledge Technology, Returns to Production Technology and Economic Development,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2002004, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Le Van, Cuong & Saglam, H. Cagri, 2004. "Quality Of Knowledge Technology, Returns To Production Technology, And Economic Development," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 147-161, April.
- LE VAN, Cuong & SAGLAM, H. Cagri, . "Quality of knowledge technology, returns to production technology, and economic development," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1747, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andrew Bernard & Joachim Wagner, 1997.
"Exports and success in German manufacturing,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 134-157, March.
- Greenhalgh, Christine Anne & Taylor, Paul, 1990.
"Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices: A Disaggregated Study,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
487, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Greenhalgh, Christine & Taylor, Paul & Wilson, Rob, 1994. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices--A Disaggregated Study," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 102-35, January.
- Greenhalgh, C. & Taylor, P. & Wilson, R., 1991. "Innovation and Export Volumes and Prices- A Disaggregated Study," Economics Series Working Papers 99107, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00197539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 1998.
"Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performances,"
109, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Sterlacchini, Alessandro, 1999. "Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 819-832, November.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "Does Innovation Cause Exports? Evidence from Exogenous Innovation Impulses and Obstacles," CESifo Working Paper Series 1178, CESifo Group Munich.
- Greenhalgh, Christine, 1990. "Innovation and Trade Performance in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(400), pages 105-18, Supplemen.
- Valdemar Smith & Erik Strøjer Madsen & Mogens Dilling-Hansen, 2002. "Do R&D Investments Affect Export Performance?," CIE Discussion Papers 2002-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Teece, David J., 1996. "Firm organization, industrial structure, and technological innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 193-224, November.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Mohammad Zohair & Mallikarjun V. Alagawadi, 2013.
"Regional Policies, Firm Characteristics and Exporting in the Indian State of Karnataka,"
Foreign Trade Review,
, vol. 48(1), pages 45-81, February.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Zohair, Mohammad & Alagawadi, Mallikarjun V., 2012. "Regional Policies, Firm Characteristics, and Exporting in the Indian State of Karnataka," MPRA Paper 40717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) (ed.), 2009. "Globalization of Production and the Competitiveness of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises in Asia and the Pacific: Trends and Prospects," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), volume 65, number tipub2540, December.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab, 2012. "Exports by Indian Manufacturing SMEs: Regional Patterns and Determinants," MPRA Paper 41804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.