Economic growth and income distribution with heterogeneous preferences on the real exchange rate
AbstractWe present a dynamic model of capacity utilization and growth which takes into due account the joint determination of the international competitiveness (measured by the real exchange rate) and functional income distribution. It follows that how distribution, capacity utilization and growth vary with the real exchange rate depends on the cause of change in the latter (nominal exchange rate or markup). Over the medium run, the nominal exchange rate (markup) changes when the actual real exchange rate differs from the level preferred by the government (capitalists). While there is a medium-run equilibrium in which capitalists and the government come to share a preferred real exchange rate, the economy may not converge to it. In fact, when the government is primarily concerned with preserving workers’ share in income when manipulating the nominal exchange rate, a limit cycle obtains: the economy experiences endogenous cyclical fluctuations in the real exchange rate, distribution, capacity utilization and growth that resemble the experience of several developing countries. Thus, growth regressions featuring the real exchange rate should include distribution in the vector of control variables, which has not been the case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32356.
Date of creation: Jul 2011
Date of revision:
growth; distribution; capacity utilization; real exchange rate;
Other versions of this item:
- Gilberto Tadeu Lima & Gabriel Porcile, 2013. "Economic growth and income distribution with heterogeneous preferences on the real exchange rate," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 35(4), pages 651-674, July.
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969. "A New View of Technological Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 79(315), pages 573-78, September.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Massomeh Hajilee, 2010. "On the relation between currency depreciation and domestic investment," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(4), pages 645-660, July.
- Carlos F. Diaz Alejandro, 1963. "A Note on the Impact of Devaluation and the Redistributive Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 577.
- Arslan Razmi & Martin Rapetti & Peter Skott, 2009. "The Real Exchange Rate as an Instrument of Development Policy," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics 2009-07, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Robert A. Blecker, 2007.
"The Economic Consequences of Dollar Appreciation for US Manufacturing Investment: A Time-Series Analysis,"
International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 491-517.
- Robert A. Blecker, 2006. "The Economic Consequences of Dollar Appreciation for US Manufacturing Investment: A Time-Series Analysis," Working Papers, American University, Department of Economics 2006-07, American University, Department of Economics.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance E., 2006. "Exchange rates and investment good prices: A cross-industry comparison," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 237-256, March.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008. "The Real Exchange Rate and Economic Growth," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 365-439.
- Gabriel Porcile & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2006.
"Real Exchange Rate And Elasticity Of Labor Supply In A Balance-Of-Payments-Constrained Macrodynamics,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of G
11, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Gabriel Porcile & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2010. "Real exchange rate and elasticity of labour supply in a balance-of-payments-constrained macrodynamics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(6), pages 1019-1039.
- Nucci, Francesco & Pozzolo, Alberto F., 2001. "Investment and the exchange rate: An analysis with firm-level panel data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 259-283, February.
- Krugman, Paul & Taylor, Lance, 1978.
"Contractionary effects of devaluation,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 445-456, August.
- P. Krugman & L. Taylor, 1976. "Contractionary Effects of Devaluations," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 191, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Blecker, Robert A, 1989. "International Competition, Income Distribution and Economic Growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(3), pages 395-412, September.
- Mario Cimoli & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, Gabriel Porcile, 2013. "The Production Structure, Exchange Rate Preferences and the Short Run – Medium Run Macrodynamics," Working Papers, Department of Economics, University of SÃ£o Paulo (FEA-USP) 2013_12, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.