A note on the choice of Malmquist productivity index and Malmquist total factor productivity index
AbstractThis paper by analyzing the two popular methodologies of productivity measurement provides an example that illustrates the differences when adopting the two methodologies. Furthermore, under the restriction of constant returns to scale raises some methodological issues regarding the theory of productivity measurement using the Malmquist Productivity Index and Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index. Furthermore by using an illustrative example under the restriction of constant returns to scale the study indicates that the two indexes produce similar results. However, the differences observed are determining the choice of the methodology adopted when measuring productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32083.
Date of creation: Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Productivity measurement; Malmquist Productivity Index; Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C69 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Other
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bjurek, Hans, 1996. " The Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 303-13, June.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Roos, Pontus, 1996. "On two definitions of productivity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 269-274, December.
- David Lambert, 1999. "Scale and the Malmquist productivity index," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(9), pages 593-596.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.