Federal Transfers and the Tax efforts of the States in India
AbstractThe paper has examined the the impact of federal fiscal transfers on the budget of the state (sub-central) governments in India. The relationship between the federal fiscal transfers and the tax efforts of the 14 major Indian states have been anlysed for fifteen years (from 1970-71 to 1984-85)through a panel dadat set. Fixed efeect model and its variants have been employed. The study found that the federal transfers have dampaned the tax efforts of states in India. Hence, a hiher weightaege for the 'tax effort criterion' has been suggested in the vertical devolution formula of the Indian Finance Commission to ensure efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3208.
Date of creation: Dec 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Indian Economic Journal part 4.volume(2000): pp. 101-110
Federal Transfers; Tax Efforts; Fiscal Federalism in India; Efficiency; Vertical fiscal balance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward M. Gramlich & Harvy Galper, 1973. "State and Local Fiscal Behavior and Federal Grant Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 4(1), pages 15-66.
- Richard A. Musgrave, 1961. "Approaches to a Fiscal Theory of Political Federalism," NBER Chapters, in: Public Finances: Needs, Sources, and Utilization, pages 97-134 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shah, Anwar, 1991. "Perspectives on the design of intergovernmental fiscal relations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 726, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.