Από Την Οικονομική Άνθηση Στην Κρίση Του 1930
[From Economic Prosperity to the Depression of 1930s]
AbstractThis chapter starts with a discussion of the economic situation in the USA and UK in the 1920s and 1930s and argues that the fundamentals of these two economies in the 1920s were already in a bad shape. In fact, we show that in the US economy the fall in the rate of profit and the stagnation of the mass of real profits preceded the collapse of the stock market in the 1929 and the depression of 1930s. The discussion continues with the economic and political situation in the case of the Greek economy and the way in which she was affected by the depression. From the study of the Greek economy in the 1930s, we derive some useful conclusions that may shed new light to the current depression and debt problems of the Greek economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31746.
Date of creation: 06 Dec 2010
Date of revision: 16 May 2011
Depression of 1930s; Gold exchange standard; Greek economy; debt default;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B14 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Socialist; Marxist
- N20 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - General, International, or Comparative
- N14 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: 1913-
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayer, Thomas, 1982. "Monetary Trends in the United States and the United Kingdom: A Review Article," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 1528-39, December.
- Goodhart, Charles A E, 1982. "Monetary Trends in the United States and the United Kingdom: A British Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 1540-51, December.
- Hall, Robert E, 1982. "Monetary Trends in the United States and the United Kingdom: A Review from the Perspective of New Developments in Monetary Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 1552-56, December.
- Lefteris, Tsoulfidis, 2012.
"Οι Πτωχεύσεις Του Ελληνικού Κράτους
[Greek Sovereign Defaults in Retrospect]," MPRA Paper 42843, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Nov 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.