Evaluating density forecasts: a comment
AbstractThis is a comment on Mitchell and Wallis (2011) which in turn is a critical reaction to Gneiting et al. (2007). The comment discusses the notion of forecast calibration, the advantage of using scoring rules, the “sharpness” principle and a general approach to testing calibration. The aim is to show how a more general and explicitly stated framework for evaluation of probabilistic forecasts can provide further insights.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31184.
Date of creation: 30 May 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2011-06-11 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2011-06-11 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2006. "Predictive Density Evaluation. Revised," Departmental Working Papers 200621, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- James Mitchell & Kenneth F. Wallis, 2011.
"Evaluating density forecasts: forecast combinations, model mixtures, calibration and sharpness,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(6), pages 1023-1040, 09.
- James Mitchell & Wallis, K.F., 2008. "Evaluating Density Forecasts: Forecast Combinations, Model Mixtures, Calibration and Sharpness," NIESR Discussion Papers 320, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Tilmann Gneiting & Fadoua Balabdaoui & Adrian E. Raftery, 2007. "Probabilistic forecasts, calibration and sharpness," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(2), pages 243-268.
- Michael P. Clements & Nick Taylor, 2003. "Evaluating interval forecasts of high-frequency financial data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(4), pages 445-456.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson, 2004.
"Predictive Density Evaluation,"
Departmental Working Papers
200419, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Gneiting, Tilmann & Raftery, Adrian E., 2007. "Strictly Proper Scoring Rules, Prediction, and Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 359-378, March.
- Tsyplakov, Alexander, 2012. "Assessment of probabilistic forecasts: Proper scoring rules and moments," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 27(3), pages 115-132.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.