Prospettive per un nuovo Welfare
[Perspectives for a new Welfare. Quality competiton versus Price competition: an 'Exit-Voice-Loyalty' approach]
Abstract"Exit, Voice, and Loyalty" (A.O. Hirschman 1970) is a theoretical concept derived from the work of Albert O. Hirschman (1970) which is focused on two essential options in organizatios and products decline, being "exit" and "voice".The basis concept is as follows: members of an organization, whether consumers , or any other kind of human grouping, have essentially two possible responses when they perceive that the producer/organization is demonstrating a decrease in quality or benefit to the consumer/member: they can EXIT (withdraw from the relationship-the standard market strategy); or, they can VOICE (attempt to repair or improve the relationship through communication of the complaint, grievance or proposal for change -the standard political strategy). In this article we apply this approach to welfare and health care markets, emphasizing the main importance of LOYALTY option (a mixed "voice-exit" strategy).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3113.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision: 01 Mar 2007
Publication status: Published in Appunti di cultura e politica march-april (2007).vol. 2(2007): pp. 35-38
A.O. Hirschman; exit-voice-loyalty; Welfare State; Welfare Society;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy-Making and Implementation
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- I00 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General - - - General
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-12 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.