Combining geoprocessing and interregional input-output systems: An application to the State of São Paulo in Brazil
AbstractThis work develops a method for the construction of input-output systems capable of estimating the flows of goods and services among cities, having in view that the creation of accurate strategies depends on the regional peculiarities incorporated in the scope of the economic planning researches. The study innovates by combining geoprocessing with inputoutput theory elements, facilitating the interpretation of the information available on the extensive data set of interregional input-output systems. The analytical potential is showed through a panoramic evaluation of the São Paulo State supply and demand relations, and by the application of the estimated input-output system to a study of the regional impacts of the “Bolsa Familia” Program, an income transfer program from the Federal government. The results show that this program must be understood not only as a form of income transference, but also as a catalytic agent for decreasing the regional inequality inside the state.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30696.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Input-Output; Geoprocessing; Regional Development; Brazil; São Paulo State;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis de Mesnard, 2004. "Understanding the Shortcomings of Commodity-based Technology in Input-Output Models: an Economic-Circuit Approach," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 125-141.
- Bon, Ranko, 1984. "Comparative Stability Analysis of Multiregional Input-Output Models: Column, Row, and Leontief-Strout Gravity Coefficient Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(4), pages 791-815, November.
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001.
"Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000. "Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods," TMD discussion papers 58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sesso Filho, Umberto Antonio & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins, 2009.
"Estrutura produtiva do Pará: Uma análise de insumo-produto
[Production structure of Para: An Analysis of input-output]," MPRA Paper 30732, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Takashiba, Eliza H. & Silva, Lana M.S da, 2003. "Combining geographical information systems and input-output models: concept and initial ideas," MPRA Paper 54607, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heejoo Ham & Tschangho John Kim & David E. Boyce, 2002. "Economic impacts of transportation network changes: Implementation of a combined transportation network and input-output model," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 223-246.
- Sungbin Cho & Peter Gordon & James E. Moore II & Harry W. Richardson & Masanobu Shinozuka & Stephanie Chang, 2001. "Integrating Transportation Network and Regional Economic Models to Estimate the Costs of a Large Urban Earthquake," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 39-65.
- Patrick Canning & Zhi Wang, 2005. "A Flexible Mathematical Programming Model to Estimate Interregional Input-Output Accounts," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 539-563.
- Guilhoto, J. J. M. & Sesso Filho, U. A., 2005.
"Estimação da Matriz Insumo-Produto a Partir De Dados Preliminares das Contas Nacionais
[Estimation of input-output matrix using preliminary data from national accounts]," MPRA Paper 38212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.