Liquidity, volume and dividend yields in stock return data: Evidence from London Stock Exchange
AbstractThis paper investigates monthly liquidity in FTSE 100 equity index in London Stock Exchange over the period 1986 to 2005. The relationship between excess returns, order flow, dividend yields and earning-price ratio was examined using GARCH(1,1). The variables found insignificant, but the unexpected shocks were significant. This research also examined financial crises in October 1987 and in August 1998 as dummy variables in excess returns. These dummies found to have great impact in excess returns and seemed to be very significant. The results of our analysis appear to be in contrast with the existing literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30078.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in International Journal of Financial Economics and Econometrics No2.Vol. 1(2009): pp. 79-88
GJR-GARCH models; liquidity; volume; dividend yields; earnings; excess returns;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F39 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tarun Chordia & Asani Sarkar & Avanidhar Subrahmanyam, 2003. "An empirical analysis of stock and bond market liquidity," Staff Reports, Federal Reserve Bank of New York 164, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Xing, Xuejing & Howe, John S., 2003. "The empirical relationship between risk and return: evidence from the UK stock market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 329-346.
- Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar & Anshuman, V. Ravi, 2001. "Trading activity and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 3-32, January.
- Epps, Thomas W & Epps, Mary Lee, 1976. "The Stochastic Dependence of Security Price Changes and Transaction Volumes: Implications for the Mixture-of-Distributions Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 305-21, March.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.