Income distribution in Romania
AbstractThe paper presents the main results of a study on income distribution during 1995-2008 years, which central concern is the measurement of income inequality and polarization in Romania. A set of indices (S80/S20, Gini, Atkinson and Theil, for inequality; Foster-Wolfson, Milanovic, Wang-Tsui, Esteban-Ray and Esteban-Gradin-Ray, for polarization), have been estimated in order to get a complex and robust evaluation of these two characteristics of the income distribution. Estimates, based on data collected by Household Budget Surveys, are showing an increase in inequality and polarization, mainly since 2000 year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30062.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
disposable income; overall inequality; between-group inequality; bipolarization; group polarization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 1991.
"On the Measurement of Polarization,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
18, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Esteban, J. & Ray, D., 1993. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 221.93, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Esteban, J.M. & Ray, D., 1992. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 171.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2004.
"Polarization: Concepts, Measurement, Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1737-1772, November.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Joan Esteban & Debraj Ray, 2003. "Polarization: Concepts, Measurement, Estimation," Working Papers 46, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Esteban, Joan & Ray, Debraj, 2003. "Polarization: Concepts, Measurement, Estimation," Cahiers de recherche 0301, CIRPEE.
- Asad Alam & Mamta Murthi & Ruslan Yemtsov & Edmundo Murrugarra & Nora Dudwick & Ellen Hamilton & Erwin Tiongson, 2005. "Growth, Poverty and Inequality : Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7287.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Branko Milanovic, 1999. "Explaining the increase in inequality during transition," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(2), pages 299-341, July.
- Molnar, Maria, 2011. "Income Polarization In Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 64-83, June.
- Molnar, Maria, 2009. "Development and poverty in Romania," MPRA Paper 29650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.