Estimating a preference-based single index from the Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire (AQLQ)
AbstractThis paper presents a study to estimate a preference-based single index from the Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire (AQLQ). Based on the AQL-5D which is a health classification system directly derived from AQLQ, 98 health states were valued by a sample of 307 members of the UK general population. Models were estimated to predict all possible 3125 health states defined by the AQL-5D and compared using a set of criteria. The mean model of main effects was recommended of preferable prediction ability and logically consistent and significant coefficients for levels of dimensions. However, there are concerns over condition-specific valuation issues, such as presenting asthma information to the general public and the choice of condition specific full health as the upper anchor for TTO valuation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29804.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
AQL-5D; health state valuation; condition-specific; time-trade-off; asthma;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
- I19 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jennifer Roberts & Paul Dolan, 2004. "To what extent do people prefer health states with higher values? A note on evidence from the EQ-5D valuation set," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 733-737.
- Brazier, John & Ratcliffe, Julie & Salomon, Joshua A. & Tsuchiya, Aki, 2007. "Measuring and Valuing Health Benefits for Economic Evaluation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198569824.
- Dolan, P. & Gudex, C. & Kind, P. & Williams, A., 1996. "Valuing health states: A comparison of methods," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 209-231, April.
- Claire Gudex, 1994. "Time trade-off user manual: props and self-completion methods," Working Papers 020cheop, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.