The Management of Uncertainty in Tourism: Strategic Paradoxes and Communication
AbstractThe design of new tourism products necessarily enters into the realm of uncertainty. Such uncertainty concerns the product developed and its later use as much as the way the design project is conducted. It can be linked to events either within or outside the firm. It will be considered to be acceptable by the design team concerned as long as it remains within a field of tolerance (domain of performance, “margin for random effects”, etc.), with the risk relating to how to egress from that domain. The first section addresses the issue of uncertainty in design and concerns the developed product and its later use just as the way the design project is pursued. The second section focuses on decision-making and how the various risks that can affect the firm and its environment are taken into account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29704.
Date of creation: 15 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in TOURISMOS: An International Multidisciplinary Journal of Tourism 1.6(2011): pp. 53-68
Tourism; Innovation; Conception; Uncertainty; Communication; Decision;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-PPM-2011-03-26 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-TUR-2011-03-26 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zografos, George & Deffner, Alex, 2009. "Dramatic Changes in the Continuously evolving Tourist Destinations: The Case of Paralia in Pieria," MPRA Paper 25294, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Apr 2009.
- Patrick Peretti-Watel, 2003. "Risque et innovation : un point de vue sociologique," Innovations, De Boeck Université, vol. 18(2), pages 59-72.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.