A Comercialização dos Produtos Orgânicos na Feira Agroecológica de Maceió/AL: Uma Avaliação sob a Lógica da Teoria dos Custos de Transação
[The Marketing of Organic Products at the Agroecological Fair Maceio, AL: An Evaluation in The Logic of Transaction Cost Theory]
AbstractThe Theory of the Costs of Transaction disciplines that in a certain market there must exist a flow of information, in way to propitiate a favorable atmosphere to the decrease of the uncertainty and asymmetry of information that would avoid the fraud attitudes and consequently the reduction of the transaction costs. In the organic agriculture the certification formally established it is the only instrument that guarantees that the product can really be classified as organic. This essay starts from the presupposition that a solid institutional ambient can guarantee a reputation to the producer and the retail companies giving to the consumer the faith in their words even without the presence of a formal organic certification and reducing the transaction costs. It is tried to answer the following inquiries: (i) can the transaction costs be reduced by the relationship of trust among the producers/merchants to the consumers and retail companies and of the retail companies for the consumers? (ii) will the consumer be able to, to have certainty that is acquiring a product classify as organic, given there is an asymmetry of information in certain situations and the actions opportunists' latent possibility? The conclusion was that, the transaction costs regarding commercialization of the organic products of the Fair Agroecológica of Maceió, they can be decreased having a favorable atmosphere to attitudes opportunists, uncertainty and a high situation of asymmetry of information, once the consumer possesses the faith that it is consuming a product of organic origin, based on his/her trust relationship with the producers/merchants and of the support of SEBRAE/AL corroborating the hypothesis that a solid institutional atmosphere should reduce the uncertainties and to inhibit the practices opportunists on the side of the agents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29373.
Date of creation: 18 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economia Política do Desenvolvimento number 01.vol 01(2008): pp. 65-86
trust; organic agriculture and theory of the transaction cost;
Other versions of this item:
- Lages, Andre Maia Gomes & Barbosa, Luciano Celso Brandao Guerreiro, 2008. "A Comercialização Dos Produtos Orgânicos Na Feira Agroecológica De Maceió/Al: Uma Avaliação Sob A Lógica Da Teoria Dos Custos De Transação," 46th Congress, July 20-23, 2008, Rio Branco, Acre, Brasil 114140, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- D02 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Institutions: Design, Formation, and Operations
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- N56 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - Latin America; Caribbean
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Oliver E., 1999. "The Mechanisms of Governance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195132601.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2005. "The Economics of Governance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 1-18, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.