Stratification and between-group inequality: a new approach to measurement
AbstractTraditionally, the literature has seen stratification as linked closely to within-group inequality. More recently, some papers have focused on measuring the impact of stratification on betweengroup inequality. In this paper, we show that when two groups are involved, such an impact can be measured by a simple comparison of the two cumulative distribution functions. This approach allows an interpretation of stratification in terms of probabilities and paves the way for a neat and simple graphical illustration. We apply it to the analysis of between-continent inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29361.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
between-group inequality; Gini index decomposition; stratification; transvariations.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milanovic, Branko & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2001.
"Decomposing world income distribution : does the world have a middle class ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2562, The World Bank.
- Milanovic, Branko & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2002. "Decomposing World Income Distribution: Does the World Have a Middle Class?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 155-78, June.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1994. "Economic distance and overlapping of distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 147-159, March.
- Maria Giovanna MONTI & Alessandro SANTORO, 2009. "The Gini decomposition: an alternative formulation with an application to tax reform," Departmental Working Papers 2009-30, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo & Lerman, Robert I, 1991. "Income Stratification and Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 313-29, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.