Exchange Rate Volatility and Non-Traditional Exports Performance: Zambia, 1965–1999
AbstractThis study estimated an error correction model of the impact of real effective exchange rate volatility on the performance of non-traditional exports for Zambia between 1965 and 1999. Using a generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity (GARCH) measure of real exchange rate volatility, the findings show that exchange rate volatility depresses exports in both the short run and the long run. The results also suggest that supportive macroeconomic factors are important in enhancing non-traditional exports in the country. This requires packaging a set of incentives aimed at removing anti-export bias policies so as to promote exports, particularly of non-traditional products, given their standing in the economic growth agenda for the country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26952.
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Real exchange rate; volatility; GARCH; error correction model; nontraditional exports;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F47 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 1999. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Trade Flows: Evidence from the European Union," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 5.
- Sauer, Christine & Bohara, Alok K, 2001. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Exports: Regional Differences between Developing and Industrialized Countries," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 133-52, February.
- Arize, Augustine C & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Volatility and Foreign Trade: Evidence from Thirteen LDC's," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 10-17, January.
- Kenen, Peter B & Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Measuring and Analyzing the Effects of Short-term Volatility in Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 311-15, May.
- Hong Liang, 1998. "Real Exchange Rate Volatility," IMF Working Papers 98/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Sekkat, Khalid & Varoudakis, Aristomene, 2000.
"Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7342, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1998. "Exchange-Rate Management and Manufactured Exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 134, OECD Publishing.
- Paul De Grauwe, 1988. "Exchange Rate Variability and the Slowdown in Growth of International Trade," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 63-84, March.
- Bates, Robert H & Collier, Paul, 1995. "The Politics and Economics of Policy Reform in Zambia," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 4(1), pages 115-43, May.
- Agathe Cote, . "Exchange Rate Volatility and Trade: A Survey," Working Papers, Bank of Canada 94-5, Bank of Canada.
- Gonzaga, Gustavo M. & Terra, Maria Cristina T., 1997. "Equilibrium real exchange rate, volatility, and stabilization," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 77-100, October.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R, 1993. "Does Exchange Rate Volatility Depress Trade Flows? Evidence from Error-Correction Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 700-706, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- repec:fth:galeco:38 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. Kabir Hassan & David R. Tufte, 1998. "Exchange rate volatility and aggregate export growth in Bangladesh," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 189-201, February.
- Pinar Ozbay, 1999. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on exports a case study for Turkey," Discussion Papers, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey 9903, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Hooper, Peter & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1978. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on the prices and volume of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 483-511, November.
- Grobar, Lisa Morris, 1993. "The effect of real exchange rate uncertainty on LDC manufactured exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 367-376, August.
- Andreas Savvides, 1992. "Unanticipated exchange rate variability and the growth of international trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 446-463, September.
- McKenzie, Michael D. & Brooks, Robert D., 1997. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on German-US trade flows," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 73-87, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.