Technology, Trade Specialization and Development: Jumping to Technology Development Era
AbstractDeveloping countries often are characterized as producers and exporters of a few types of natural resource based goods. Intuition dictates that these countries should change their strategy from being merely merchandise producers to technology developers in order to experience higher level of development. Hence, the study analyses the effect of technology production and export specialization on the per capita income and growth of some countries in West and East Asia and the Pacific and investigates their behavior in this regard. Moreover, some recommendations are drawn for East- West Asian economic relationships from these results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26643.
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Technology; International Trade; Development; Comparative Advantage;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco Alcalá & Antonio Ciccone, 2001.
"Trade and productivity,"
Economics Working Papers
580, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2002.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Lederman, Daniel & Maloney, William F., 2003. "Trade structure and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3025, The World Bank.
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," Working Papers 9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- Isabelle Bensidoun & Guillaume Gaulier & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2001. "The Nature of Specialization Matters for Growth: an Empirical Investigation," Working Papers 2001-13, CEPII research center.
- Diana Weinhold & James Rauch, 1997.
"Openness, Specialization, and Productivity Growth in Less Developed Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
6131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Rauch & Diana Weinhold, 1999. "Openness, Specialization, and Productivity Growth in Less Developed Countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1009-1027, August.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1996.
"Integration, specialization, and adjustment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 959-967, April.
- Matthias Busse & José Luis Groizard, 2006.
"Technology Trade in Economic Development,"
DEA Working Papers
22, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Witold J. Henisz, 2002. "The institutional environment for infrastructure investment," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 355-389.
- Amable, Bruno, 2000. "International specialisation and growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 413-431, December.
- Young, Alwyn, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 369-405, May.
- Alwyn Young, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2006. "Innovation, technology and the global knowledge economy: Challenges for future growth," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20060301, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Mellati, Ali, 2008. "Uncertainty and investment in private sector: An analytical argument and a review of the economy of Iran," MPRA Paper 26655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:umd:umdeco:rodriguez9901 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.