Pengaruh Jangka Pendek dan Jangka Panjang Perubahan Suku Bunga dan Kurs Rupiah Terhadap Harga Saham : Studi Empiris di Indonesia (2000:1 – 2010:4)
AbstractThe present study investigates the role of exchange rate and interest rate in stock price discovery in Indonesia. Indonesia is experiencing a kind of bubble which is indicated by surplus of current account accompanied by high capital inflow. Capital inflow simustaneusly influences exchange rate, and interest rate, and thus sequently affects stock prices. Employing cointegration approach and Engle Granger Error Corection Model (ECM), covering monthly time series data from January 2000 to April 2010, both short run and long run relationships are investigated. It is found out that there is cointegration relationship between stock price as dependent variable and exchange rate and interest rate, as independent variables. In the long run and in the short run, interest rate statisticaly significant negatively influences the stock prices. The impact of exchange rate on stock price is statistically significant, and changes in sign from negative in the short run effect to positive in the long run effect. In the long run, stock price is elastic to the changes in interest rate, and exchange rate. In the short run, the elasticity of stock price is decreasing in responding to the change in interest rate and exchange rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25532.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Cointegration; ECM; stock price; economic model; exchange rate; interest rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Shabri Abd. Majid & Rosylin Mohd. Yusof, 2009. "Long-run relationship between Islamic stock returns and macroeconomic variables: An application of the autoregressive distributed lag model," Humanomics: The International Journal of Systems and Ethics, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(2), pages 127-141, May.
- Ahmed Alhayky & Ndambendia Houdou, 2009. "Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Empirical Evidence from Kuwaitâ€™s Financial Markets," The IUP Journal of Financial Economics, IUP Publications, IUP Publications, vol. 0(3 & 4), pages 71-82, September.
- Cumhur Erdem & Cem Kaan Arslan & Meziyet Sema Erdem, 2005. "Effects of macroeconomic variables on Istanbul stock exchange indexes," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(14), pages 987-994.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.