The Role of Innovation Activities in Tourism and Regional Growth in Europe
AbstractTourism plays a crucial role for national economies throughout the world. In Europe, international tourism receipts were almost three times higher in the late 1990s than they were in the late 1980s. Tourism has great potential as regards contributing to the achievements of several major EU objectives, such as economic growth, employment, sustainable development and economic and social cohesion. The importance of innovation was long underestimated in service and tourism activities. Successful innovation, as for instance innovation that is also profitable to the tourism firm in a competitive market, must increase the value of the whole tourism product. The production and the dissemination of new technologies has been the subject of much research. This paper illustrates why technological innovation is considered as a major force in tourism industry. It also attempts to analyze the impact of technological innovation and the implications on regional growth of member states.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25380.
Date of creation: 04 Mar 2007
Date of revision: 23 Jun 2007
Publication status: Published in TOURISMOS: An International Multidisciplinary Refereed Journal of Tourism 1.3(2008): pp. 135-152
Tourism; innovation activities; competitiveness; regional growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrico Santarelli, 1998. "Start-up size and post-entry performance: the case of tourism services in Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 157-163, February.
- Abernathy, William J. & Clark, Kim B., 1985. "Innovation: Mapping the winds of creative destruction," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-22, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.