Management of Stock Price and it Effect on Economic Growth: Case study of West African Financial Markets
AbstractAbstract This paper investigates the statistical properties of stock returns in the West African regional stock market and the link between the West African regional stock market and economic growth. To examine the nature of the distribution of West African regional stock returns, the daily closing prices of the two stock index of West African regional stock market, and eighteen of it sub-indices were utilized. Nine years data from 1998 to 2007 interval were employed. The analysis of our study shows that the distribution of the West African regional stock market returns is non-normal and non-i.i.d (independent, identically and normally distributed). The linear and non-linear dependencies in the returns appeared to be the main reasons for the data being non-i.i.d. The study also demonstrates the presence of the day-of-the-week effect in West African regional stock market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24907.
Date of creation: 10 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Key words: West Africa regional stock markets; day of the week effects; growth.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2010-09-18 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2010-09-18 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- French, Kenneth R. & Roll, Richard, 1986. "Stock return variances : The arrival of information and the reaction of traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 5-26, September.
- Praetz, Peter D, 1972. "The Distribution of Share Price Changes," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 49-55, January.
- Rogalski, Richard J, 1984. " New Findings Regarding Day-of-the-Week Returns over Trading and Non-trading Periods: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1603-14, December.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-34, April.
- Eugene F. Fama, 1963. "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 420.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Hinich, Melvin J & Patterson, Douglas M, 1985. "Evidence of Nonlinearity in Daily Stock Returns," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 69-77, January.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1970. "Portfolio Theory: A Step Toward Its Practical Application," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 152-73, April.
- Errunza, Vihang, et al, 1994. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity and Global Stock Return Distributions," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 293-317, August.
- Blattberg, Robert C & Gonedes, Nicholas J, 1974. "A Comparison of the Stable and Student Distributions as Statistical Models for Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 244-80, April.
- Cheung, Yan-Leung & Ho, Richard Yan-Ki & Pope, Peter & Draper, Paul, 1994. "Intraday stock return volatility: The Hong Kong evidence," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(2-3), pages 261-276, May.
- Richardson, Matthew P & Smith, Tom, 1994. "A Unified Approach to Testing for Serial Correlation in Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 371-99, July.
- Ravindra Kamath & Rinjai Chakornpipat & Arjun Chatrath, 1998. "Return distributions and the day-of-the-week effects in the stock exchange of Thailand," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 97-107, June.
- Smirlock, Michael & Starks, Laura, 1986. "Day-of-the-week and intraday effects in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 197-210, September.
- Hagerman, Robert L, 1978. "More Evidence on the Distribution of Security Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1213-21, September.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Hsieh, David A, 1989. "Modeling Heteroscedasticity in Daily Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(3), pages 307-17, July.
- Brorsen, B Wade & Yang, Seung-Ryong, 1994. "Nonlinear Dynamics and the Distribution of Daily Stock Index Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(2), pages 187-203, Summer.
- Levine, Ross, 1999. "Law, Finance, and Economic Growth," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 8(1-2), pages 8-35, January.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Booth, G. Geoffrey & Martikainen, Teppo & Tse, Yiuman, 1997. "Price and volatility spillovers in Scandinavian stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 811-823, June.
- Westerfield, Randolph, 1977. "The Distribution of Common Stock Price Changes: An Application of Transactions Time and Subordinated Stochastic Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 743-765, December.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.