Simulation of interest rate options using ARCH
AbstractThe autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity (ARCH) estimation procedure provides a specification of the error terms as well as estimates of the coefficients. A simple interest rate equation is estimated using least squares and also using ARCH. Then the stochastic simulation methodology is extended to the ARCH process and Treasury Bond call options are evaluated. Interestingly when ARCH is compared to least squares it is found that the difference in coefficients estimates has a small effect, while the different simulation procedures have a large effect on the value of Treasury Bond call options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24844.
Date of creation: 1991
Date of revision:
ARCH model; simulation; interest rate; Treasury bond call options;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagan, A.R. & Schwert, G.W., 1989.
"Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility,"
89-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Alternative models for conditional stock volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 267-290.
- Adrian R. Pagan & G. William Schwert, 1990. "Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility," NBER Working Papers 2955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1978. "A Simple Approach to the Valuation of Risky Streams," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 453-75, July.
- Hull, John & White, Alan, 1990. "Pricing Interest-Rate-Derivative Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 573-92.
- Calzolari, Giorgio, 1979. "Antithetic variates to estimate the simulation bias in non-linear models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 323-328.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Jamshidian, Farshid, 1989. " An Exact Bond Option Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 205-09, March.
- Sterbenz, Frederic P & Calzolari, Giorgio, 1990. "Alternative Specifications of the Error Process in the Stochastic Simulation of Econometric Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 137-50, April-Jun.
- Ball, Clifford A, 1988. " Estimation Bias Induced by Discrete Security Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 841-65, September.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates," Papers 9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 1994. "Conditional heteroskedasticity in nonlinear simultaneous equations," MPRA Paper 24428, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calzolari, Giorgio & Fiorentini, Gabriele & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1993. "Alternative estimators of the covariance matrix in GARCH models," MPRA Paper 24433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.