The Determinants Of the Technical Efficiency of Cotton Farmers in Northern Cameroon
AbstractThis paper, seeks to evaluate the technical efficiency of cotton farms in the northern part of Cameroon through the use of a parametric production frontier. The evaluation approach used is a stochastic type which shows that in spite of the fact that cotton yields in Cameroon are amongst the highest in sub-Saharan Africa, efficiency indexes are still as low as 60% in average. Having had a diagnosis overview aimed at identifying the determinant of technical efficiency with the use of a regression function, the main findings show that the characteristics of the producer as well as environmental factors all influence technical efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24814.
Date of creation: 16 Jun 2010
Date of revision:
technical efficiency; cotton farms; northern Cameroon;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-09-18 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2010-09-18 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.