Real Estate Securitization and the Debt Maturity Structure: Evidence from J-REIT
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between the degree of real estate asset liquidity and liability structure of J-REITs. By employing data of ragionality and usage as new proxies of real estate asset liquidation value, we empirically derived the following implications. First, J-REITs with high ratios of real estate investment assets in a high liquid region, i.e., where the trade frequency per unit area is high, have high debt to equity ratio and long term debt maturity. Second, J-REITs with high concentration ratios of real estate assets traded in small units as the use of residential properties also have high debt to equity ratio and long term debt maturity. In addition, the above relationships are enhanced when the REIT ownership structure is concentrated. In summary, the regional characteristics and type of usage of real estate assets are validated as asset liquidation proxies and they are related to the liability structure of J-REITs. The existence of a block shareholder is regarded as a sponsor firm by market participants and this possibly enhances the above relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24581.
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision: Sep 2010
REIT; Liability Structure; Capital Structure;
Other versions of this item:
- Mamoru Nagano, 2013. "Real Estate Securitization and the Debt Maturity Structure: Evidence from J-REITs," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 252-273.
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Stulz, Rene M., 1997.
"Why is there a home bias? An analysis of foreign portfolio equity ownership in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 3-28, October.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Rene M. Stulz, 1995. "Why Is There a Home Bias? An Analysis of Foreign Portfolio Equity Ownership in Japan," NBER Working Papers 5166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Efraim Benmelech & Mark J. Garmaise & Tobias Moskowitz, 2004.
"Do Liquidation Values Affect Financial Contracts? Evidence from Commercial Loan Contracts and Zoning Regulation,"
NBER Working Papers
11004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Efraim Benmelech & Mark J. Garmaise & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 2005. "Do Liquidation Values Affect Financial Contracts? Evidence from Commercial Loan Contracts and Zoning Regulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(3), pages 1121-1154, August.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002.
"Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”," CRSP working papers 506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Pound, John, 1988. "Proxy contests and the efficiency of shareholder oversight," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 237-265, January.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1988. " Corporate Finance and Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 567-91, July.
- Brickley, James A. & Lease, Ronald C. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 1988. "Ownership structure and voting on antitakeover amendments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 267-291, January.
- Palia, Darius & Lichtenberg, Frank, 1999. "Managerial ownership and firm performance: A re-examination using productivity measurement," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 323-339, December.
- Erasmo Giambona & John P. Harding & C.F. Sirmans, 2008. "Explaining the Variation in REIT Capital Structure: The Role of Asset Liquidation Value," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 111-137, 03.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- David T. Brown & Timothy J. Riddiough, 2003. "Financing Choice and Liability Structure of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 313-346, 09.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Marx, Leslie M. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 2003. "The joint determination of leverage and maturity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 149-167, March.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.