The Effect of Financial Liberalization on the Economic Development Process in case of Inefficient Banking
AbstractIn this essay we develop a stylized model to investigate the role of external financial liberalization in the development process of a small economy. Firstly, we show that there exists an economic development threshold under which the capital account liberalization can not occur. Secondly, we show that in the presence of banking inefficiency, the financial liberalization presents a major risk for the economic development process. Indeed, if the economy is situated in a vulnerability region every bad performance of the investment sector could degenerate in a banking crisis delaying the development process by several periods relatively to the situation of closed economy. Finally, it is also shown that reducing the credit market imperfection decreases the likelihood of a banking crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24514.
Date of creation: Sep 2002
Date of revision:
Banking efficiency; capital account liberalization; confidence crisis; economic development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 2000.
"Financial Market Globalization and Endogenous Inequality of Nations,"
1300, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 2001. "Financial Market Globalization and Endogenous Inequality of Nations," Discussion Papers 1334, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 1989.
"Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income,"
NBER Working Papers
3189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1076-1107, October.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1988. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," RCER Working Papers 131, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 9002, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1988. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," Working Papers 88-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- By Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Zhaohui Chen, 2001. "Crash-Free Sequencing Strategies for Financial Development and Liberalization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 7.
- Michel Guillard & Taoufik Rajhi, 1994.
"Une note sur les liens entre croissance et taux d'intérêt,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 751-766.
- Michel Guillard & Taoufik Rajhi, 1994. "Une note sur les liens entre croissance et taux d'intérêt," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 45(3), pages 751-766.
- Bailliu, Jeannine N., 2000.
"Private Capital Flows, Financial Development, and Economic Growth in Developing Countries,"
00-15, Bank of Canada.
- Jeannine N. Bailliu, 2000. "Private Capital Flows, Financial Development, and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Working Papers 00-16, Bank of Canada.
- Philippe AGHION & Philippe BACCHETTA & Abhijit BANERJEE, 1998.
"Financial Liberalization and Volatility in Emerging Market Economies,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9811, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 1998. "Financial Liberalization and Volatility in Emerging Market Economies," Working Papers 98.02, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1986.
"The Allocation of Credit and Financial Collapse,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(3), pages 455-70, August.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1987.
"Financial Fragility and Economic Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
2318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1997. "Credible Economic Liberalizations and Overborrowing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 189-93, May.
- Jeffrey H. Nilsen & Riccardo Rovelli, 1999. "Modering Financial Fragility In Transition Economies," Working Papers 99.03, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Russell Cooper & Dean Corbae, 2001. "Financial collapse and active monetary policy: a lesson from the Great Depression," Staff Report 289, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Philip Arestis, 2002. "Financial crisis in Southeast Asia: dispelling illusion the Minskyan way," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 237-260, March.
- Soumia Zenasni & Abderrezak Benhabib, 2013. "Capital Account Liberalization and Economic Growth in Developing Economies: An Empirical Investigation," Global Financial Markets Working Paper Series 40-2012, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.