Rationalité, relativisme, évolution sociale: une analyse critique du modèle cognitiviste de Boudon-Weber
[Rationality, relativisme, social evolution. A critical analysis of Boudon-Weber's cognitive model]
AbstractThis essay mainly concerns the foundation of a method of inquiry appropriate to the study of social reality. It starts from a criticism of Boudon-Weber's cognitivist method, the lacks of which seem particularly qualified for underlining the methodologic difficulties afflicting social thought. These lacks helps us to point out the reason and potentialities of our proposal on method that may be denominated 'social objectivism'. This proposal suggests additional objections both to Weber's cultural relativism and Boudon's anti-relativism, as well as to the notion of rationality and the theory of social evolution developed by those authors. A different notion of rationality is proposed and an alternative explanation of social process, referable both to the evolution and organization of human societies, is sketched out that may also be extended to the interpretation of historical processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24131.
Date of creation: Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Method of social thought; relativism; economic and social evolution; cognitive approach;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
- B52 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Institutional; Evolutionary
- A13 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Social Values
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- H89 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Other
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- B5 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angelo Fusari, 2004. "A reconsideration on the method of economic and social sciences: Procedure, rules, classifications," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(5/6), pages 501-535, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.