Wages, labour mobility and international trade
AbstractThis chapter is an extensive review of the existing literature on international migration of labour and its close interactions with international trade in goods and services. In addition, we provide a brief model to show that emigration of labour from a developing country has strong implications for the domestic skilled to unskilled wage movements. In fact, depending on intensity assumptions across sectors and emigration of skilled or unskilled workers, the wage gap may increase or decrease.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24101.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
International migration; wages; trade; complementarity; skill;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John M. Abowd & Richard B. Freeman, 1991. "Immigration, Trade and the Labor Market," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abow91-1, May.
- Beladi, H. & Marjit, S., 1992.
"Foreign Capital and Protectionism,"
RCER Working Papers
310, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Borjas, G.J. & Freeman, R.B. & Katz, L.F., 1991.
"On The Labor Market Effects Of Immigration And Trade,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1556, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "On the Labor Market Effects of Immigration and Trade," NBER Chapters, in: Immigration and the Workforce: Economic Consequences for the United States and Source Areas, pages 213-244 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1991. "On the Labor Market Effects of Immigration and Trade," NBER Working Papers 3761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Katz, Eliakim & Stark, Oded, 1986. "On fertility, migration and remittances in LDCs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 133-135, January.
- Sapir, Andre, 1983.
"Foreign competition, immigration and structural adjustment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 381-394, May.
- André Sapir, 1983. "Foreign competition, immigration and structural adjustment," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8276, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Katz, Eliakim & Stark, Oded, 1989. "International labour migration under alternative informational regimes: A diagrammatic analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-142, January.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52, January.
- Gerking, S.D. & Mutti, J.H., 1983. "Factor rewards and the international migration of unskilled labor: A model with capital mobility," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4742786, Tilburg University.
- Peter Kuhn & Ian Wooton, 1991. "Immigration, International Trade, and the Wages of Native Workers," NBER Chapters, in: Immigration, Trade and the Labor Market, pages 285-304 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stark, Oded & Taylor, J Edward, 1991. "Migration Incentives, Migration Types: The Role of Relative Deprivation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1163-78, September.
- Neary, J Peter & Ruane, Frances, 1985.
"International Capital Mobility, Shadow Prices and the Cost of Protection,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
58, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Neary, Peter & Ruane, Frances P, 1988. "International Capital Mobility, Shadow Prices, and the Cost of Protection," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 571-85, November.
- de Melo, Jaime & Faini, Riccardo, 1995. "Trade Liberalization, Employment and Migration. Some Simulations for Morocco," CEPR Discussion Papers 1198, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Newman, Andrew F, 1998. "Information, the Dual Economy, and Development," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Marjit, Sugata & Broll, Udo & Mitra, Sandip, 1997. "Targeting Sectors for Foreign Capital Inflow in a Small Developing Economy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 101-06, February.
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Hamid, 1999. "Complementarity between Import Competition and Import Promotion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 280-285, June.
- Hamid Beladi & Sugata Marjit, 1996. "An Analysis of Rural-Urban Migration and Protection," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 930-40, November.
- Katz, Eliakim & Stark, Oded, 1987. "International Migration under Asymmetric Information," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 718-26, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.