The Economic Benefit of Data-Communication Technology on the New York Metroplex Area
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to estimate the economic benefit for the New York Metroplex area of the controller-to-pilot communication standard known as Data-Communication. RAMS simulation software was first used to evaluate the potential impact of the new technology on airport operations in the three airports of LaGuardia, Newark and John F. Kennedy. The new technology would allow for a greater number of operations and reduce the average hourly workload for air traffic controllers. We employ a two steps procedure. First, we estimate a benefit function per number of hourly operations. Second, using the empirical distribution of hourly operations and the benefit function found in step one, we compute the average daily benefit from the technology as the reduced cost from delays plus the net effect on controllers workload due to its implementation. The procedure is applied at each airport individually and to the metroplex area as a whole. Our estimates show that the introduction of Data-Comm would yield significant savings in the New York Metroplex area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24082.
Date of creation: 23 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
air transportation; congestion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ICT-2010-07-31 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-URE-2010-07-31 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Steven A. & Winston, Clifford, 2008. "The effect of FAA expenditures on air travel delays," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 669-678, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.