Koszty restrukturyzacji sektora bankowego w Polsce
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to estimate the costs of banking sector restructuring in Poland, borne by the government and the central bank in the years 1993-2006. The authors focused mainly on the assistance measures that directly contributed to generating costs. Aggregated costs of the banking sector restructuring borne in the years 1993-2006 by public bodies amounted to 18.6 billion zloty (22.4 billion zloty in 2006 prices), corresponding to 2.61% of the annual GDP. The largest costs related to the tools employed in the banking sector restructuring process were those of servicing restructuring bonds allocated by the State Treasury to finance threatened banks (over 80% of total costs). The largest share of assistance went to state-owned banks, i.e. 90.3% in current prices. Total costs of banking sector restructuring in Poland are not high when compared to such costs in other transition countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 24080.
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
banking sector restructuring; banking crises; fiscal costs; financial stability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- H81 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Governmental Loans; Loan Guarantees; Credits; Grants; Bailouts
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ewa Balcerowicz & Andrzej Bratkowski, 2001. "Restructuring and Development of the Banking Sector in Poland. Lessons to be Learnt by Less Advanced Transition Countries," CASE Network Reports 0044, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Edda Zoli, 2001. "Cost and Effectiveness of Banking Sector Restructuring in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 01/157, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.